MIST

Magnetosphere, Ionosphere and Solar-Terrestrial

Latest news

MIST recognised in 2018 RAS awards

MIST Council would like to congratulate those who have been recognised for contributions to the field by the Royal Astronomical Society recently, but particularly we would like to congratulate those members of the MIST community who are to be honoured at the next National Astronomy Meeting.

Emma Bunce has won the Chapman Medal for outstanding contributions to the understanding of the magnetospheres of gas giants, Matt Taylor has won the Service Award for his exceptional work in co-ordinating and contributing to ESA's Rosetta mission, and Jim Wild has been awarded the James Dungey lectureship for his excellent and highly relevant work on substorms and reconnection in the magnetotail. We would also like to congratulate Kerri Donaldson Hanna for winning the Winton Award for planetary science.

MIST Council applauds each of the winners, alongside the other academics who will be recognised in Liverpool this spring!

More details are available at the RAS website.

New MIST councillors in 2017

Congratulations to Jasmine Sandhu and Jonny Rae, both at MSSL, who have been elected (and, in Jonny’s case, re-elected) to MIST Council. They join Ian McCrea (Chair - RAL), Sarah Badman (Lancaster), Luke Barnard (Reading) and John Coxon (Southampton), all of whom continue in their posts.

Read more ...

Rishbeth Prizes 2017

Congratulations to Jade Reidy (University of Southampton) and Mervyn Freeman (British Antarctic Survey) for winning this year's Rishbeth prizes for their presentations at the National Astronomy Meeting at the University of Hull this July.

Read more ...

Nigel Wade

Nigel Wade
Nigel Wade - University of Leicester

It is with deep sadness that we have to inform the MIST community of the untimely death after a short illness of Nigel Wade who worked in the Radio and Space Plasma Physics (RSPP) group at Leicester for over 30 years.

Read more ...

New Members of MIST Council

After a hard-fought campaign by the five candidates, the results of the MIST Council elections are now in!

Read more ...

Notes from MIST Council meeting 29/10/12

29 October 2012, Conference room 13, RAL

Participants: Mike Hapgood, Emma Woodfield, Mario Bisi, Rob Fear, David Southwood

  1. Agree agenda
    1. Agenda agreed
  2. Draft SSAP report
    1. Draft and Agreed note to send on behalf of STP community
    2. Sent 4 minutes before formal deadline at noon
    3. Put on MIST web site
  3. Autumn MIST
    1. Coffee and rooms are booked
      1. RAS LT for talks
      2. Council room for coffee
    2. Can have 3 sessions and run until about 17:00
    3. Tim Horbury to give invited talk
    4. Will need talk on state of MIST
    5. Deadline is coming Friday (2 Nov) - already have 6 abstracts
    6. Posters
      1. Suggestion to put boards against Council table
      2. But this limits us to use one side of board
      3. Will review when we know how many posters we have
  4. Dungey Special Meeting and Lecture
    1. Reviewed David's draft annoucement
    2. David chasing up other old students of Jim
    3. Looking for younger scientists to talk about topics on which Jim has worked
      1. ULF waves
      2. reconnection
      3. radiation belts
    4. Meeting is in GeolSoc LT so can handle 200+
      1. but some concern we may exceed this
      2. do we need tickets so numbers are controlled?
      3. David may ask Imperial secretary to collect registrations
  5. NAM 2013
    1. Plenaries
      1. First choice is Mark Lester as Mark missed slot at NAM 2012
      2. Other possibilities
        • Andrew Fazakerley - follow up to his Chapman Medal
        • Malcolm Dunlop - SWARM
        • Richard Horne - RBSP
      3. Mike to discuss with SOC
    2. How to build programme?
      1. Need to make a Call for Ideas
      2. Start Call at Autumn MIST
  6. MIST web site
    1. Rob and Emma now in control of web site
    2. Reviewed content on-line and agreed some changes
    3. Remove old links
    4. Tidy up list of groups
    5. Collect data on indicators of esteem for MIST scientists
      • Fellowships
      • Awards and Named Lectures
  7. Promoting our science
    1. Briefing papers
      1. Mike to chase up old list ot proposed papers
      2. Some exist in draft form
      3. EISCAT_3D should be a priority
      4. Re-prompt for ideas at Autumn MIST
      5. Can authors recycle material from proposals
      6. Other options
        • Rad belts - can Spacecast help?
        • Artificial aurora - Lancaster?
        • History - David interested to write about Alfven, Chapman, Dungey and Birkeland
    2. Promote outreach sites
      1. SunEarthPlan.net
      2. SolarStormWatch
  8. AOB
    1. Should we have a MIST equivalent to UKSP nuggets?
      1. How to sustain?
    2. MIST Council election 2013
      1. needs to take place before "Spring MIST" @ NAM2013
      2. Mike to flag this at Autumn MIST
      3. circulate note to Heads of Groups - ask them to encourage candidates so we have a good election
    3. Date of next MIST Council meeting
      1. telecon in Feb/Mar 2013
    4. Rishbeth Prize money
      1. Mike to check status with RAS

Notes from MIST Council telecon 6/9/12

6 September 2012, 09:35-11:00

Participants: Emma Woodfield, David Southwood, Rob Fear, Mike Hapgood, Mario Bisi (from 10:40)

  1. Autumn MIST meeting
    1. In RAS Lecture Theatre on 30 November
    2. Rob and Emma will act as organisers and issue call soon
    3. Invite Tim Horbury to give keynote talk on TRIO-CINEMA (cubesat to launch very soon, ULF wave studies)
    4. Think on other options for another keynote talk and circulate ideas to MIST Council by Monday 10th
  2. Dungey Lecture and associated meetings
    1. First Dungey lecture will be given at the RAS ordinary meeting on 11 January 2013, after the specialist meeting organised by Mark and Mervyn ("Integrated Atmospheric and Space Science")
    2. RAS will agree choice of first lecturer at Council meeting on 12 October
    3. There will also be a separate meeting to celebrate Jim's 90th birthday – on 10 January in Geol Soc lecture theatre. Programme to be arranged once the Dungey lecturer is known.
    4. David will prepare a note about these events – for distribution to MIST list.
  3. Geophysics Forum
    1. RAS and other Learned Societies are organising a Geophysics Forum similar to Astronomy Forum, a forum where heads of departments can talk with funding bodies: NERC plus HEFCE and its siblings
    2. Duncan Wingham (NERC CEO) is supporting this
    3. There will be two fora – essentially one for fluids (oceanography, atmospheric science, STP, …) and one for solids (internal geomagnetism, solid earth geophysics, …)
    4. For MIST we will need to watch the fluid/solid interface in terms of geomagnetism, e.g. groups like Liverpool and BGS.
    5. Main membership will be university departments. Letters of invitation have now gone out to HoDs.
    6. But invite RC centes (BAS, BGS, RAL Space) and Met Office as observers
    7. Fora attendance needs to be kept to level (say 30) that enables effective meetings. So may need care where there are multiple groups in one university, e.g. UCL/MSSL. This has been an issue in Astronomy Forum.
  4. NAM2013
    1. Mike will contact St Andrews to check the state of their planning – and will cc Rob Massey at RAS. He will also note our views about the need for a good poster session and clear prior rules on abstract submission – and explore if there is scope for a rich programme of MIST sessions. If we can do that, we don’t need a separate MIST event in the Spring, especially given the Dungey Lecture and associated meetings in January.
    2. Depending on this response, Mike will then encourage MIST community to think about sessions for St Andrews NAM.
  5. Face-to-face meeting
    1. Mike will poll to find dates for a face-to-face MIST Council meeting soon after 12 October.
  6. Website
    1. Need to update current pages. Rob will see Andrew Walsh this weekend and ask if it is now possible to authorise other MIST people to add items using the RAS Content Management System.
  7. Rishbeth Prize
    1. Mike will check with Mike Cruise if he can fund a third prize this year so we can deal with the tie in the voting